EVERLASTING - Electric Vehicle Enhanced Range, Lifetime And Safety Through INGenious battery management
Due to the high price, range anxiety and doubts about the reliability and safety of the Lithium-Ion technology, electric vehicles struggle to compete with conventional cars. The Everlasting project will develop more accurate and standardized, battery monitoring and management systems in order to overcome current disadvantages of the technology. That includes predicting the battery behaviour under all circumstances and over its full lifetime. Pro-active and effective management of the battery will allow more reliable operation and safety, which will lead to preventing issues rather than mitigating them. Moreover, by exploiting the interaction between the battery and the vehicle, more accurate range predictions can be made to reduce the range anxiety for the driver. Finally, the standardized BMS architecture will decrease the cost of the overall system. Everlasting pursues in the period from 2016-09-01 to 2020-08-31 the following objectives:
- Improved simulation and modelling tools for predicting the behaviour of battery systems in all circumstances and over their full lifetime
- Sensing signals beyond the standard parameters of current, voltage and temperature (multi-sensing approach)
- Monitoring the status of the battery by interpreting the rich sensor data
- Managing the battery in a proactive way, based on a correct assessment of its status (Efficient thermal and load management)
- Defining a standard BMS architecture and interfaces and gathering the necessary support in the market
This project has received funding from the European Commission’s Horizon 2020 (Horizon 2020) research and innovation programme under grant agreement No 713771. The project coordination is led by Vlaamse Instelling Voor Technologisch Onderzoek N.V. (VITO) in Belgium. The responsibility for the content of this publication lies with the author.